It’s that time of year again that many dog owners come to dread now that fireworks have arrived in the shops.
Whilst it might appear to be good news that the large organised firework displays will not be going ahead but the fear many of us share is that many smaller individual domestic displays could occur and might be closer and unexpected.
The RSPCA recommend the following precautions when caring for dogs who are ‘spooked’ :
- Walk them during daylight hours to avoid times when fireworks are likely to be set off
- Close windows and curtains to muffle the sound of fireworks
- Put on some music or tv to mask the firework sounds
- Create a quiet space where your dog can feel in control
- Create some hiding places around your home